"Very concerned about the worrying situation in Turkey, a NATO member," Major General in reserve Alberto Asarta Cuevas premiered Thursday in the summer course at the Polytechnic University of Cartagena (UPCT) 'Culture Military and Aerospace ', which it is taught in the General Air Academy, his first talk on leadership in operations and Thursday has given another presentation, negotiation and mediation in difficult situations, who was head of the UN mission in Lebanon (UNIFIL) with 12,000 soldiers under his command, the largest ever multinational force commanded by Spanish military;
He was also responsible for the defense of Al-Andalus Spanish base in Najaf, during the attack in April 2004 militia Mahdi Army.
- What are the keys to negotiate and mediate in difficult situations?
- Have patience, be accepted by the parties, meet background the problem and fix trading on the conflict of interest, preventing personal conflicts combined.
The mission of the mediator is to remove barriers, build bridges and bring cooperation where there was confrontation.
It is very useful to joint meetings with both sides, because often the biggest problem is that there is no communication between them, allowing each party to expose the conflict from their perspective.
Lebanon had monthly meetings with Israeli and Lebanese military and operational level, we reached many agreements to avoid incidents, allowing time for politics to start a peace process that has not yet begun to move.
- Publication of information on the negotiations is harmful?
- Negotiators must be abstracted from what they publish media, which almost never have all the data, because if published, could frustrate most negotiations.
- What characteristics of military leadership they are applicable to civilian life?
- They are similar.
The leader has to meet a number of capabilities, such as preparation, accountability and exemplary, which are acquired with work.
The natural charisma is a multiplier of leadership, but more important is the preparation and example.
- Schedule a military operation has similarities to an engineering project?
- Everything in life requires planning.
You make the goals and give you a means by which you pick the right people and put the necessary resources to fulfill the tasks of the mission persons.
To make everything fit, it is essential to devote 24 hours and seven days a week, and be aware of all the details, even the smallest.
To do team and motivate subordinates, and especially in international missions, you have to be very respectful of different cultures.
- How important is knowing languages?
The orders have to be very clear and you have to make sure they understand alike.
The military values â€‹â€‹of the different contingents are very similar, so if given example it all easier.
- Have you been surprised by the findings of the Chilcot report on the Iraq war?
- No, everyone knew it was not true that he had weapons of mass destruction.
But remember that the Spanish troops did not go to war, we went to the reconstruction of Iraq with defensive means and rules of engagement.
- Are you confident you can defeat the Islamic State?
- Yes, but there must be a global will.
All good people have to put us agree.
It is the number one enemy.