The Municipal Archaeological Museum of Cartagena 'Enrique Escudero de Castro' has just published the number 14 of the Mastia magazine, corresponding to the year 2018. The magazine, which maintains an annual periodicity, has been constituted for years as the main tool of dissemination of the archaeological investigations that are realized in the city of Cartagena and its region.
As for the works collected in the number that has just been published, and which has almost 200 pages, nine collaborations dedicated to archeology in Cartagena are included.
A first article of the magazine, is a novel study, by Gregorio Rabal, where they are released for the first time a series of petroglyphs or inscultures, discovered in various hills of the western sierras of the municipality of Cartagena.
The following collaboration of Alejandro Quevedo, from the University of Murcia, materializes a first advance of the interesting archaeological discovery made recently in the Sierra de Pelayo.
The three following works of the magazine focus, from different approaches, on the Roman epigraphy of the city.
On the one hand, José Miguel Noguera and Juan Manuel Abascal, professors at the University of Murcia and Alicante, respectively, together with the archaeologist María José Madrid, examine in depth 26 Roman inscriptions from the archaeological excavations of the Molinete between 2008 and 2018 This work is followed by a study by Daniel Alonso, in which he analyzes an epigraphic fragment of Cartagena, known since the beginning of the 20th century, but which at present was considered missing, offering a new and possible interpretation of the piece.
In the third study dedicated to epigraphy, the head of Museums and Archeology of the City of Cartagena, Miguel Martín, reviews the historical context and the fate of the Roman epigraphic collection that was kept in the building of the former Consistorial Palace, after its demolition to end of 1893.
Finally, Benjamin Cutillas and Oscar Vergara, researchers from the University of Murcia, report the study of the remains of several hydraulic facilities documented in Cabezo Ventura (Cartagena), which would be associated with one of the companies that provided water to the city â€‹â€‹at the beginning of the 20th century.
And lastly, in the section of the Newsletter the magazine dedicates an article to the activities of dissemination of the local archaeological heritage that, since its foundation, has been developed by the Association of Friends of the Municipal Archaeological Museum, Mvsaedomus.
In addition to the physical edition on paper, any researcher or interested person can have free access to all the work published in any number of the journal by accessing the publications section of the website of the Municipal Archaeological Museum, or through the bibliographic portal Dialnet. from the University of La Rioja, specializing in human and social sciences and which, at present, ranks first in the ranking of European portals and fourth worldwide in bibliographic searches.
The magazine also has a prominent role in the bibliographic exchange program that the Municipal Archaeological Museum of Cartagena maintains with numerous museum institutions, specialized research centers and university archeology departments, not only national but also international.
An exchange that enriches the bibliographic collection of the auxiliary library of the Municipal Archaeological Museum, instituted in parallel with its foundation in 1943, and to which researchers have access.
Source: Ayuntamiento de Cartagena